Friday, September 12, 2014

My 5 star review of Becoming Calder

My 5 star review of Becoming Calder

“Who wants to become a writer? And why? Because it’s the answer to everything. … It’s the streaming reason for living. To note, to pin down, to build up, to create, to be astonished at nothing, to cherish the oddities, to let nothing go down the drain, to make something, to make a great flower out of life, even if it’s a cactus.”
—Enid Bagnold

I am SO glad Mia Sheridan decided to start writing. I am not sure what ever drove her to this passion, but whatever it is- I thank the gods (you’ll get it once you read it.) that she did. Maybe its destiny, maybe its fate- but she truly found her calling in life, besides being a fabulous mom and wife that is! She writes such magical stories, that they make me want to live in these worlds. To submerge myself in whatever universe these stories take place. She writes the kinds of stories that while totally descriptive as they may be; I want to see them for myself in person. I have an overabundance of imagination- so much so, after I was finished with this particular story, I had dreams about it. But to actually be able to see Acadia- and meet all the people that lived there, with my own two eyes, would be amazing.

Now, don’t go into this book thinking it is your average setting for a love story to take place (or any story for that matter- because it’s not. It is very different from anything you have ever read- I promise you that.

“We hadn’t chosen this life. It had chosen us.”

A FORBIDDEN love story- absolutely, but a romance of two people who are destined to be together, no matter what anyone throws their way.

“He’s never be mine- not even his laughter.”

“You’ll never belong to me.”

 Ultimately it tells the story of Calder- sweet, GOOD, Calder. Always following the rules, always wanting to succeed and dreaming the impossible, to be possible. Calder’s family lives in a world, that I know nothing about- with him his sweet sister, Maya- whom I absolutely adored.

“The thing about Maya was it was like that extra chromosome was filled to the bursting with love. So filled up, it was constantly leaking out of her in some shouty way, and she just couldn’t keep it inside her. It had to come out in some way, shape, or form. But I guessed when you love someone, you put up with all their faults, even the especially loud ones.”

And it was also a story of Eden, a scared, alone little girl, brought into a world to become everyone’s salvation.

“Please don’t be sorry.” She breathed out, her head still back. “Anything but that. Please don’t be sorry. If this is the last piece of heaven I get before I’m dragged down to hell, then I’ll gladly take it.”

Some of my FAVORITE parts of this story would be spoilers if I shared them, and I believe the best stories are secrets, kept under wraps until only you can read them for yourself. Why would you want to find out all the details from ME, when you can read them from the source?

This story , for me, was a “morning glory”- strong, hard to get rid of, and completely consuming. Because not only is the morning glory a lovely blossoming flower-“it’s also a weed, invasive and stronger than it looks” That was what this bit of heaven was.

With this story- I laughed often, fell in love with the characters (well most of them anyway!) and bawled until I couldn’t breathe. It made me feel ALL the feels. It was so multi-dimensional and from page one I was hooked. So many twists and turns, I never knew what was going to happen. And from that first page, I kept waiting- waiting for the other shoe to drop, waiting to see what this crazy world was all about, waiting to find out all about Calder, Eden, Acadia- and everything else in this fantastic book. And boy did I find out. But trust me when I say- don’t read this right before you go to sleep- I bawled my eyes out and couldn’t turn my brain off to sleep that night! It was stuck with me, and it’s still stuck with me today. I have told all my friends to pre-order this and get ready for October 5th! Take October 6th off work, seriously, you’ll want to. Mia keeps bettering herself as a writer- each book I read, I am astounded at her growth, and at the research and time that she takes to make her books perfection, and that is exactly what they are. I need to read the rest of this story like the air I breathe, and if there is a god of mercy, may that being have mercy on me and hurry up October 5th!

So sit back, drink a Coca-Cola, eat some butterscotch candies (maybe some sugar cubes), and count down the days until this marvelous, incredible and unbelievably fantastic book is on your e-reader! 


AMAZON PRE-ORDER LINK--->
http://amzn.to/1us6g35

No comments:

Post a Comment